So these are the books that were recommended by John Green (compiled for my own benefit and others) [Prices according to Amazon Prime in USD]:
For fans of the Swindon Town Swoodilypoopers:
- Ballad of the Whiskey Robber: A True Story of Bank Heists, Ice Hockey, Transylvanian Pelt Smuggling, Moonlighting Detectives, and Broken Hearts
- Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo ($15.63)
- Sula by Toni Morrison ($10.99)
- The Blood of the Lamb: A Novel by Peter De Vries ($11.20)
- Uglies by Scott Westerfield ($9.99)
- Matched Trilogy (Box Set including signed copy of the third book, Reached) by Ally Condie ($31.24)
- Divergent by Veronica Roth ($9.99)
Insurgent (Collector’s Edition) ($13.59)
To read with a romantic partner:
Harry Potter Fans:
For people who care so much about characters and don’t even know why:
- The Art of Fielding: A Novel by Chad Harbach ($10.19)
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak ($7.78) [This is literally so cheap it should be criminal because of just how amazing this book is.]
- Wolf Hall: A Novel by Hilary Mantel ($8.91)
- The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation (Volumes I
- & II) by M.T. Anderson ($8.79 and $9.20)
- The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee ($12.24)
- The Disreptuablle History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart ($9.99)
- To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis ($13.80)
- The Complete Sherlock Holmes: All 4 Novels and 56 Short Stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ($10.00)
- Books by P.D. James
- Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls ($11.19)
Hello all! It’s me again with more updates about the Nerdfighter Bookstore, Inklings Books & Things! Bear with me, because this might be kind of a long post, but I swear it’s worth your time!
First of all, I just wanted seriously, from the bottom of my heart, thank you guys so, so, so much for the response to the last post. The fact that John reblogged this post, Wil Wheaton liked it, and we got almost 250 reblogs from you all…I am just absolutely flabberghasted. I spent most of that day seriously jumping up and down and happy dancing all over the place. I read every single response you all had, and it absolutely warmed my heart to know there are so many of you guys excited for this. <33333 LOVE LOVE LOVE.
So since last talking with you guys, a LOT has happened!
Soon after I spoke to you guys last about the article that was published, we were approached by a local TV station to do an interview! This was right after we had received our books and were in the last stages of putting things together, and we made sure that lots and lots of shots of John Green books were included! Since I can’t embed it, you can watch the video here.
We were also featured in Shelf Awareness, a daily newsletter for those in the book industry, and the article from the Capitola Patch was reprinted in Publisher’s Weekly! Wow! We were SO PSYCHED!
But most importantly, we’re OFFICIALLY OPEN! We opened on November 1, after a full month of working our butts off to get everything ready, and it has totally paid off! The response from people has been overwhelming, and we’re super excited every single day we come in to work.
We’ve already had our first few Nerdfighters show up, and every single time it has been ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! One of the most awesome things that has happened is that Sami from aweekofawesome on Youtube did her vlog from our store a few days ago!
We feel so honored and blessed and completely nerdtastic to be featured in this awesome slice of Nerdfighteria! Here’s a picture of her and her sisters in our store, in front of our John Green quote endcap:
So yes! Lastly, I wanted to let you all know that we’re having a Grand Opening Event on Saturday, November 12!
Any of you guys who want to come into the store, make sure you drop by for the grand opening, because it’s going to be awesome! We’re gonna have cupcakes and giveaways and storytime and readings, and all sorts of equally made of awesome things! And… we want to see as many awesome Nerdfighters as possible! We love you guys, and we wouldn’t be here without you!
As a sendoff, here are some awesome links, and a virtual tour of our store, narrated by my coworker Aimee!
Blog, where you can get more up-to-date info!: inklingsbookandthings.blogspot.com
And lastly, if you guys have any questions or things you wanna tell us, email us at InklingsBooks@gmail.com!
As always, DFTBA! (And cookies to anyone who finished this whole post!)
(P.S.: to any local artists or photographers in the Santa Cruz area, we want to display your art in our store! Email us for more details if you’re interested!)
(submitted by aparadoxinflux)
"I mean, it’s stupid to miss someone you didn’t even get along with. But, I don’t know, it was nice, you know, having someone I could always fight with.”
“Fighting,” I said, and then, confused, barely able to drive, I added, “is nice.”
“Right. I don’t know what I’ll do now. I mean, it was nice to have her. I’m a mad guy, Pudge. What do I do with that?"
Looking for Alaska; John Green. (via throughpainofheart)